Monday, November 7, 2011

Captain America vs The Hulk



I know this post is a little late as it has been a week since Captain America roamed the Avenues very politely  asking, "Trick or treat?"  Walt quickly surmised that wishing strangers "Happy Halloween" was also the way to go.  We had a fun night and I'm happy to say that all of the pleasure was going door to door, seeing the costumes and decorations (Walt generously wished a stick figure on a lawn,"Goodnight skeleton!") and filling the bag - actually eating the candy he is less interested in.  It was satisfying to watch the light go on and see him "get it" and throw himself into the weird fun of the day versus the bewildered and oddly serene Incredible Hulk that he was as a six month old in Moscow.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that this odd couple were my two favorite superheros growing-up.  The science experiment gone wrong that created a green ball of rage and smash that is the Hulk (I want to ask my Doc - is there any chance that if we use gamma rays for whole brain radiation, might I be able to join Hulk's extended family?  If so, I'm in) versus the patriotic, square, and über good that is Captain America (let me tell you, making Cap your favorite was tough - adolescents into this kind of thing saw this as an indication of bad taste - such a boring, one-dimensional goody two shoes - like making your D & D characters lawful good - also something I almost always did.)  It's funny since this is the exact same criticism that I leveled at Superman - corny, boring, and unbelievably good.  But I saw the complications in Cap - one the first users performance enhancing drugs (hey, the Army gave it to him) the tragedy of always being a man out of time, and the fact, super soldierness aside, he was just a guy with a shield doing his best but almost always overmatched.
Walter confided in me that he has been playing a lot of Superman at school lately - pretending to fly around the yard with his buddy Jack.  I asked him why Superman - because Jack wants to.  But Captain America is better.
Why is that kiddo?
Because daddy, I have a shield.
A late but very Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment