Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Heading "Home"



It looks like on Sunday the three of us will be boarding a plane bound for Sydney and heading back to our house in Canberra and my job at the Embassy.  The last few days have been a Through The Looking Glass inversion of our last few in Australia.  Fours days ago, it just did not appear to be a realistic possibility that I would be medically cleared to return to Australia.  Now that I've had a few days to process this and let it sink in,  I  couldn't be happier.

The irony is, my medical outlook hasn't changed much.  Yep, I still have brain cancer.  Once again, there may have been slight regression with this last MRI but more importantly, there did not appear to be new growth.  While this still isn't the jump up and down "I'm cured!" moment, "stable disease" for six-months is a significant milestone.
I'm still not showing any neurological deficits.  I'm still tolerating the chemo quite well.  I've learned, with the help of my doctor, a lot about how to manage my symptoms and deal with the side effects.  I'm continuing to pursue alternative therapies - acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, and a cancer fighting diet.
It is impossible to say how and when my cancer may change but my day to day reality now is close to normal and I think it is important to live in that present rather than in the shadow of a dreaded MRI which might show worsening symptoms.
I feel blessed to be returning to a job that I love and to arrive back to the "home" where we were just getting settled six months ago.  Walt was looking out of the window today and letting us know that "I can see Canberra from here."
Almost Walt, almost.

10 comments:

  1. OMG, Walt is channeling Sarah Palin!!!!!!

    OMG! I can't believe you are leaving on Sunday! I thought this was going to happen in some number of weeks, not days. I'm happy for you guys that you are getting your lives back and this measured good news. Please keep us posted on you progress Chris. We don't really pray, but we're praying for your good health. So sorry we weren't able to see each more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to sound corny, but life really is full of surprises, good and bad, and right now we are all enjoying the news of this latest surprise for you. Move forward Chris! With faith and the strength and support you get from Steph and Walt, you'll continue to manage this instead of it managing you. Please keep writing from Australia. Hugs, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nyree and I can not tell you how happy we are for you guys. Sorry you will be so far away for the beginning of the baseball season but I think you will manage fine! We are thinking of you guys!
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending my love. You inspire me to live my best life every day. Please always know I am here to support you in any way. I'm eating an alkaline diet - maybe we ought to share notes!! :) XOXO Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very happy for you and your family! You'll remain in my thoughts and prayers. Here's to living life in the moment, not by shadows on CT scans or MRIs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray! By now I should be saying, "Welcome Home!!!" I hope you are all getting adjusted to being back in the land down under I love you guys! Sending much aloha and BIG Island love. xoxo, Allison and John and Elizaeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that from now onward you and your family will only continue to get happy surprises! I'm glad to hear it all worked out and you were able to go back "home" to Australia.

    Hugs,

    Karina

    P.S. I'm reading Dr. Timothy Brantley's book called THE CURE. I've only goten 1/4 thru but he ascertains that you can beat cancer by eating live raw unprocessed foods, cleansing your liver with lemon water and keeping your blood PH level at alkaline levels because cancer cells cannot proliferate in that environment. It's easy to read and might help in your quest for a "cure". Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray Chris! I'm really happy for you, Steph and Walter, and thrilled that you're going back to a job that you love. I loved Walter's "Sarah Palin" comment. I know you'll be busy, but hope you can keep up the blog. Enjoy Australia! Much love, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fantastic news!!!! We think of you, Steph and Walt often and are so glad to hear that you are headed back to Australia. It's funny how "overseas" so quickly feels like "home" and where you are supposed to be. Best of luck with your position and to Steph's grad work. Enjoy that beautiful country. We look forward to keeping up with you through the blog. Sending lots of love and strength- Sarah Jim, Scarlett and Bridget Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Chris and Family,
    Just caught up with the blog today and am so glad to hear that the tumor does not seem to be growing and that you got a chance to go back to Australia. It seems like you have such great communication as a family and that you're listening to your instincts. So enjoy your time in Australia - be it months or years!

    As always, thinking about you ,
    Lora

    ReplyDelete