Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Is February really the shortest month?


...because it has felt interminable.
To begin, I'm still feeling healthy.  It has been close to three months that I've been free from acute symptoms.  We started the month thinking that if the next scan showed improvement or even stable disease, we could head back to Australia, get back to my job, and regain a semblance of normal life.  After several weeks of back and forth with the State Department, it now appears that I won't be medically cleared to return overseas and I don't have much input on this.  In some ways, these last two weeks have been harder to take than my original diagnosis.  I suppose I didn't realize the extent to which I had equated returning to my job in Australia with having turned the corner with my cancer - somehow that was the milestone in my mind that would turn our upside down life right again.
 Seeing this possibility evaporate filled me with a sense of powerlessness and hopelessness that many people feel after being initially diagnosed but that I never experienced.  I have never accepted the statistics about my cancer - it would be awfully hard to feel optimistic if I did.  I felt that numbers let me know what I was up against not what my outcome would be.  I am nothing if not stubborn and I felt determined to overcome this through force of will.  Of course, it is not that simple but I have so much in my favor - Steph and Walter's love and support, excellent doctors, friends and colleagues the world over pulling for me - I had that strong sense that through all of this, I would just grit my teeth and do whatever I could to to get better.  Not exactly Pollyanna but certainly an optimistic vision.  Cancer can rob you of the sense you have of control of your life but I didn't feel the sting of that until I was pronounced unfit to return to Australia.
No final decision will be made until my next scan the middle of March but we are now preparing to return to D.C. and begin a new job search.  A few scenarios were floated as possibilities, including the ominous sounding "medical retirement" but the most likely outcome is a medical curtailment from Australia and a reassignment to Washington.  This would be our ninth move in four years which is a pretty blistering pace even by State Department standards.  Once again, time to adjust our perspective and embrace the change even if isn't exactly what we wanted.
I never really wanted a brain tumor either but here we are.

10 comments:

  1. Chris, Steph and Walt - Just wanted to let you all know that you're in our thoughts and prayers, although we've been keeping up with your news second-hand until now.

    We're sorry to hear about the likely medical curtailment to D.C., but hope the upside will be time for you all to catch up with lots of folks in person there. We're hoping to hit D.C. by July for a few months at FSI, so look forward to hopefully seeing you all then. Walt must be as much of a delight as Sophia is these days.

    Best wishes,
    Alyssa, Jesse & Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that fucking sucks!!! I'm so sorry to hear about these setbacks. It's so unfair, as if the illness is somehow (undeservedly) a reflection of merit. It's NOT!!!

    For what it's worth, I find so much inspiration in your honesty, courage and grace. I believe these qualities will help you beat this. Many blessings to you and your awesome family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, While it is disappointing to hear that your plans to return to Australia have been deferred, for now, I'll remind you that I have witnessed you and Steph move beyond setbacks and disappointments before. It was during my brief period working at Poison Control when I met Steph. At that time you started the application process with the State Department, and I recall a series of frustrations you had to endure. It was one delay after another, for several months. You and Steph were eager to pack your bags, move to D.C., and get started with your career, it was like you could taste it. Ultimately, you surrendered to patience and stuck with the journey which also, wasn't what you had expected, right? But you got there, and then came along Walter :-) Life is full of setbacks, and adapting to change with faith, is always the way to go...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too bad. But it's good to know Australia was a goal that helped you through, which goes to show that planning is priceless even if plans themselves can prove useless. Maybe you'll be in DC in time for the cherry blossoms? ... while making plans to return to Australia, SF or wherever as you get better. In the meantime, please do keep posting. It's great to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am only now reading the update and am a bit surprised to hear that returning to post is no longer an option. You are a fantastic officer and the State Dept (hopefully) recognizes this and will provide a DC gig that utilizes your talents! Great to be able to keep up on the updates on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chris:

    Reading your blog is inspirational. I admire your tenacity, and I know you'll beat this.

    Though I can relate to your disappointment about not going back to Australia, a return to DC isn't the worst of all worlds. There is plenty of interesting work there and it's not an awful place to hang out until your medical clearance is restored.

    Anyway, keep up the positive attitude and stay in touch.

    Best

    Tim S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Chris,
    You know what I like about your post? they always say that once you are diagnosed(...) you totally change prospectives about life- well, you don't. You still want your old job back...
    I wonder if by time they will late you go back to Australia or here..or somewhere else.But I should say- you do have Steph, and Walt, and wonderful friends and family that would love to see you and support you where ever you will be. Kate knows good places for beer in DC..
    Life ain't fair but you are fighting back, and who ever dares he will be the one to win.
    Miss you all,
    Hadas, Eilay and Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris, I'm sorry you're experiencing this blow now. I would never try to minimize it. But if there's one thing I absolutely know about you and Steph, it's that you know how to find something compelling and beautiful in just about every experience. And I think you will in DC too. I'd rather you be first-choice happy, but I'm glad your second choice is in my hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, you are so honest and smart, I can't think of a thing to say to "make it all better." (I gotta confess though, DC still sounds much better than Canberra -- as a place to live anyway!) I'm really glad you're feeling healthy and am counting on good results for that upcoming scan!
    Much love to you, Steph and Walter, Jenny W.
    PS My invitation to dinner still holds, if you 3 ever have time in the next few weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  10. One good piece of news (for us): we are closer to DC than SF!
    Sending lots of good thoughts to you three during yet another transition.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete