Friday, January 21, 2011

Qualified Good News


Is there any other kind when dealing with health (or doctor's pronouncements)?
I had my four-month MRI yesterday and saw my oncologist.  I can say for the record that what began as an hour of torture in the Sci-Fi machine has become old hat.  I found myself drifting off, looking at my reflection in the control room window via a mirror attached to my "Hannibal Lecter goes out for the day" mask, wondering if GE was consciously channeling 2001: A Space Odyssey when they designed this MRI machine.  I used to find the hour of lying immobile in a small, noisy (imagine R2D2 getting slowly crushed in the Death Star's trash compactor) metal cylinder was an unpleasant experience that required visualizations (trying to recall the run in Hance in every detail) to endure but honestly, it doesn't seem like a very big deal anymore.  
Sitting in the waiting room in ill-fitting hospital PJs with a group of anxious patients wondering what their scan will show is a bit more unsettling.
But to the good news - my scan showed at the very least, no new growth of my tumor.  My doctor said she could identify areas of regression but the radiologist wouldn't commit to a full-on "the cancer is in retreat" prognosis.  Still, it is very good news.  We've gone from feeling that radiation might be inevitable to seeing real signs that chemo alone might shrink my tumor.  My doctor was quite pleased to identify for us the areas that she thought she saw regression (some areas where the wrinkles of my brain had been smoothed out by swelling showed wrinkles again when compared with a scan from six weeks ago - remember, if you are concerned about wrinkles - wrinkly brain is good).
All in all, we are very encouraged and we intend to plow ahead with our treatments and expect the best outcome.  We are deeply appreciative for all of the positive thoughts, energy, and prayers coming our way.  Today was a good day.

10 comments:

  1. Chris,

    Our daughter, Kim Hill, let us know of your challenge. I have read this blog, and feel up-to-date on your situation. It has been many years since we enjoyed the Grand Canyon together, but I recall those trips with great memories. We send you positive thoughts and hope that you will continue to experience progress in your treatments.

    Dave and Phyllis
    Cave Creek (Phoenix), AZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris!
    All your colleagues from Yekaterinburg are glad to hear this good news. We all think of you.

    Your consular section

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for wrinkles! Very happy to read the news, Chris.

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Chris!

    If you can sleep during an MRI you can sleep through anything : ) Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great news Chris!!! Brings a tear of joy to the eye.
    Give our love and a big hug to Steph and Walt.
    Rob & Jen & Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chris,

    Great news! Love those wrinkles -- I'll never complain about mine again!

    See you next week,
    XO Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. G'head with your wrinkley brain! Woot! Congrats, Chris. Great news. Snowy (yet, healthful)well-wishes to you and the family from NYC.

    Marta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bebbers! :)
    Kim Here. I read the current updates and love (as always) your sense of humor that shows through in bits of incredibly intelligent and funny comments. :) I love that about you. I'm headed to Calif on the 9th to work near Santa Barbara, then working for 5 days there in a year-long training course I'm involved in, so I'll be closer to send you positive energy and prayers! Drink lots of greens (make that body alkailine!!) and know every day I'm thinking of you and encouraging you on this path. With love, Kim

    ReplyDelete