Friday, November 8, 2013

Hard Slog




















I haven't posted anything is quite some time, nothing in over two months it looks like.  I apologize for not checking in more regularly.  The pages have been empty but the days have been quite full.  I went back to work full time around mid-August.  I landed in the Bureau of Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs in The Office of Policy and Public Outreach.  It is a mouthful but welcome to Washington - acronyms R US!  We've never met a name or concept that couldn't be obscured or complicated by the use of an acronym.  I felt that it was a good place for me to return to work - the issues are very interesting and important to me.  It was satisfying to be back to work, engaged, and contributing.  Things started to turn at end of September - I perceived a dip in my writing and was struggling to find the correct words to express myself.  Definitely a new symptom and an unnerving one.
I had a week of debilitating headaches and then a sobering appointment with my neuro-oncologist during which more surgery was recommended.  Still can't make a diagnosis from an MRI.  
I don't know why but I was very surprised this time.  I had a pretty hellacious 24 hours before surgery (not worth going into detail here but miserable) but I recovered pretty well and quickly.

The pathology came back 10 days later that the increased mass on my MRI was from necrosis (dead tumor cells) not new tumor growth.  Very good news but I still feel pretty wiped out from the whole ordeal.  Thank you for all of your messages.  I hope I will continue to heal.

3 comments:

  1. Chris - thanks for sharing this update! We had not heard the results from the latest treatment, and are glad that at least there is not new growth. Both of you guys, please feel free to contact us if you need help around the house, etc while you are recovering. Much love. Kyle and Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you guys. Best wishes from Maputo. XX The Leggoes, Jesse, Alyssa, Sophia, Emilia and Ava

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I was reading up on few of your posts and had quick question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, thanks~

    Emily

    ReplyDelete