Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Surviving and Thriving


It has been two months since I last posted and a lot has happened.  We sold our place in San Francisco and bought a house in Northern Virginia which we plan to move into by the end of the month.  We are overjoyed, nervous, and grateful.  As recently as late January, I had serious doubts about reaching this point but here we are.  I have more people to thank for this than a gushing Oscar winner but I'd like to try.
Returning to work would never have been possible without the extraordinary support of my State Department colleagues.  Many folks selflessly gave up their own leave for my recovery and I have been continually buoyed by messages, calls, and visits some of which were critical to keeping me on this path.  Standing and clapping since 2007 - thanks guys.
My family and friends have been with me on this roller coaster journey.  I've been sustained by friendships old and new, brief and enduring, and by the continued love from family that has nourished, comforted, and sometimes carried me along me.
I am truly grateful for the time I have enjoyed with Walter.  After diagnosis, I wondered if I would live long enough for him to even remember me.  He starts Kindergarten in September and I could not be more proud of him.  He is a perceptive, kind and wise person.  And a dependable booster - he recently told Steph not to worry about me "because Daddy is is the toughest."  I don't know about that but he has set a fine example for me by how he has coped with challenging situations.  I remember him sitting quietly and patiently for hours in the frightening confusion of a Canberra emergency room.  When I was finally transferred into a private room, I remember Walt strolling in, sizing up the space, and saying approvingly,"Nice room Daddy - no alarms, no crying babies, and room to run!"


I honestly don't know how anyone could deal with this alone but I feel fortunate everyday that I have such an extraordinary partner in my wife Steph.  We have made this journey together but it would not have been imaginable without the foundation of her love, patience, and determination. 


When we will drive over the Bridge on Friday, it will mark a tremendous milestone for us.  I wrote in earlier post about my discomfort around the world survivor.  I don't think of myself as a survivor because that implies an experience overcome and now past and that is not what I am living.  But I am surviving and even thriving.  I am not cured and I have no idea how long this will last but I am here now and appreciative of all the gifts around me.


10 comments:

  1. fantastic!
    Look forward to having you closer.
    We will be making a fall trip to DC and will look forward to getting together then.
    Hunter, Jen & Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Chris--Our two are starting 1st and pre-k in the fall, so Walt is right in between. Call/email us whenever you guys would like a DC play date. hannahschardt@gmail.com And welcome back east!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Amazing and hard fought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, Steph, and Walt,
    Laura and I are so glad to know you and so excited for your next chapter. We will miss you in SF but plan to stay in touch and hope to see you on the east and west coasts.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you dashing or dawdling? If you cut through the Show Me State we could put you up at Innsbrook with some swimming and woods-tromping, or in St. Louis for some memorable City Museum fun for Walt (citymuseum.org/site/?cat=3).
    Safe travels, whatever your route!
    -Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for all of you. Have a safe trip!

    Bob and Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, what an exciting time! May the thriving continue for many, many years to come...
    Lots of love,
    Vic

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please do continue to thrive, all three of you. We will miss you mightily, and we hope you will come back to visit us soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris,
    Very exciting news. We are also Virginia bound. Would love to catch up with you when you are in the area. All our best,
    Lisa, Jon and Atticus

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you guys are enjoying decompressing into your new place!
    Say 'hey' to Walt n Steph for me.
    - eob

    ReplyDelete